Standard Life employees in UK choose Place2Be as their new charity partner
3 August 2016
- £500,000 fund raising target set by end of 2017
- Company Raise and Match scheme enhanced to support Charity Partners
Standard Life employees are pleased to announce they have chosen Place2Be as their new charity partner. Place2Be is a national charity providing emotional support to children in schools, working with more than 257 schools nationwide, including 28 in Edinburgh and Glasgow. Its services span individual and group counselling for children, therapeutic support for parents or carers, as well as training, advice and support for Head teachers and their teams.
Commenting, Sandy Begbie, Chief People Officer, Standard Life said:
“Like Standard Life, Place2Be are passionate about providing a better future for young people and supporting wellbeing in every sense. There is a growing need for the mental health support services Place2Be are providing and I’m delighted our employees have chosen Place2Be as our new charity partner, recognising the success and importance of the work they do.”
Catherine Roche, Chief Executive, Place2Be said:
“We’re delighted that Standard Life employees have chosen Place2Be as their charity of the year. Three children in every classroom have a diagnosable mental health issue, and many more face challenges in life that can be difficult to cope with, from family breakdown to losing a loved one, from bullying to witnessing domestic violence or substance misuse. With the help of Standard Life, we can continue to support thousands of children and young people in schools in Edinburgh, Glasgow, London and elsewhere in the UK, helping build their resilience for a stronger future for themselves and their families.”
Standard Life is also enhancing its “Raise and Match” scheme whereby the company pledges to match the fundraising of its employees. The enhancement means that there will be no “matching cap” when employees are fundraising to support their elected charity partner.
“We’re setting an ambitious target of raising at least £500,000 for Place2Be by the end of 2017. To help, Standard Life will match any fund raising our employees do for Place2Be. New charity committees have been set up and many of our people have already signed up to take part in sponsored events. They can also take up to three paid days off each year to volunteer and help too. We’re at the beginning of a very exciting partnership and together we can make a real difference to children in our local areas, while having fun along the way.”
Standard Life employees are also saying a fond farewell to their previous charity partners Scope and Capability Scotland, having raised over half a million pounds over the past two years to support disabled people across the UK.
For further information, photos, or interviews, contact:
- Nicki Lundy, Senior Media Affairs Manager, Standard Life
tel: 0131 245 2737,
- Susan Rogers, Media Manager, Place2Be
tel: 0207 923 5581,
Notes to editors
- Place2Be is the UK's leading children's mental health charity providing in-school support and expert training to improve the emotional wellbeing of pupils, families, teachers and school staff
- School-based teams of professional counsellors and therapists build strong links with students, staff and parents to help develop a ‘mentally healthy’ ethos within the school environment
- Place2Be is a leading provider of specialist training and university-validated professional child counselling qualifications. The charity also trains people who work with children and young people to enhance their understanding of children’s mental health and wellbeing.
- The charity works directly with more than 250 primary and secondary schools across England, Scotland and Wales, reaching a school population of over 100,000 pupils. A full list of Place2Be partner schools is available at www.place2be.org.uk
- Money raised by Standard Life will go towards funding Place2Be's 'whole school service' in Place2Be partner schools near to Standard Life offices, including in Edinburgh, Glasgow and London.
About Standard Life
- Standard Life is an investment company with over 190 years’ experience of helping people invest and manage their money.
- Standard Life employs around 6,500 people internationally – through businesses in the UK, Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.
- Around 4.5 million customers and clients across 46 countries trust Standard Life with their financial future and Standard Life is responsible for the administration of over £300 billion of their assets. Standard Life also supports over 25 million customers through Indian and Chinese associate and joint venture businesses.
- Standard Life Investments actively manages over £253 billion worldwide, offering global asset management expertise with strong investment capabilities and performance.
- Standard Life plc is listed on the London Stock Exchange with around 1.2 million individual shareholders and is one of the top 500 companies worldwide, by revenue, as listed in the 2015 Fortune Global 500.
- Wherever Standard Life operates in the world, it is motivated by a sense of responsibility. That is what has helped it be a sustainable business over the long term. Standard Life is proud to be listed as a leader for corporate sustainability in its industry in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI World and DJSI Europe).
- You can follow Standard Life in the UK on www.twitter.com/StandardLifeplc
All figures in notes to editors are at 31 December 2015 unless stated otherwise.